Wednesday, May 11, 2011

You Are Who?

So, I'll be the first to admit that iamamiwhoami is a bit of a publicity stunt. Mysterious band shows up on YouTube with strange videos with riddles for song titles and no one knows who it is. Over time some very anxious fans figure out bits and pieces of what everything means and everyone has a guess at who the mysterious singer is, but no one ever knows for sure until months later when one music video shows the singer Jonna Lee (who is a big deal overseas) without crazy makeup or special effects.

Putting all that aside, Jonna Lee's side project of iamamiwhoami is really really good electronic semi-dance music. There is such a difference I learned between watching the videos and just listening to the songs. When you watch the videos all you can think about is how bizarre it all is, and if you are me, "why can't they find that male model underwear that fits his ass" (and why is he wearing socks). But when I just played the songs by themselves, I realized just how good of music it is.

It is hard to say exactly what the sound is like, but I found bits and pieces of everyone from MGMT to Bjork in the sound. My personal favorites are O and T, which I will post below, but I highly recommend you check out all her videos in order! It's like a strange puzzle that slowly comes together bit by bit, but when you are done, you're not so sure what the picture is of. You can check out the order on this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iamamiwhoami but if you only want to hear her main songs check out B, O, U-1, U-2, N, T, and Y in that order. Strange I know, but oh so good.





-Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment