Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Epic Banjos

While listening to Mumford and Sons' debut album "Sigh No More" I caught myself thinking "Man, these banjos are epic," which are not exactly words one would normally put together. I think that choice of words is actually fitting though. Mumford and Sons is a great folk band for one who does not necessarily like folk bands due to their quick tempos and ability to keep their songs interesting, even the slower ones.

I really love this album, especially the songs Little Lion Man, White Blank Page, Winter Winds, Sigh No More, The Cave, and Awake My Soul. I love the singer's slightly raspy English voice and their use of literary references in their lyrics. As the singer put it "You can rip off Shakespeare all you like; no lawyer's going to call you up on that one."

This band does not completely fit into the theme of this blog as I have heard them on the radio a few times and were recently nominated for two Grammys for Best New Artist and Best Rock Song, but I believe them to be relatively unheard of still as they are relative newcomers to the music world. As for the Grammy nominations, it just shows that on occasion award shows actually get it right. Despite my love for many of the other Best New Artist nominees, I expect Mumford and Sons to win that category.

Check out this wonderful band below:







-Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment